From: <AlfaNeely@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>; "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 2:11 PM
Subject: Alfa Crankshaft Nut

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> > It follows then that Russ is not entirely correct in writing "The
crankshaft
> > pulley / harmonic balancers can be interchanged if you change the nut at
the
> > same time." The Spica pulley and closed nut could be used
> > on a non-Spica car,
> > but going the other way would be difficult.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > John H.
>
>     Nope, the crankshaft snouts are the same.  I recently put a Spica
crank in a Bosch engine.  Only the pulley and nut seem to differ in my
experience and they seem interchangeable both was.
>     Interesting that the early Euro cars had the open nut accepting a 36
mm socket.  The Bosch cars definitely went back to that.  So I guess my
earlier statement that if you can see the threads on the end of the crank,
it will take a 36 mm socket.  It not, then it is 38 mm.

>      And, yes, I am way behind in my reading.  As I am off to race the new
track near Omaha this weekend, I may just have to skip a week's worth of
digests.  And then there is the two weeks I will spend Californicating in
early July...