follow up on overheating 79 spider

I am posting this as a follow up on my 79 spider with SPICA that started to overheat and would not idle. I would like to thank Tom Shaines, Joe M. Cantrell, and John D. Fox for offering their expertise and trying to help diagnose the problem. Most, including me, suspected a thermostat or SPICA issue, given from the rapid rise in engine temperature. Well the SPICA is fine, I never even had to mess with it. Upon pulling the plugs, it became painfully obvious that I needed a new headgasket. The car now runs great with a new headgasket and thermostat.
I can understand why a car would overheat with a blown headgasket, but what I don't get is why did it run fine at high RPMs but not at idle? Coolant in the cylinder is a problem no matter if the engine runs fast or slow, right?

Any theories would be appreciated.

Peter in Los Angeles
-one cool spider
-milano undergoing engine rebuild, if I get it back in time to break in the new engine before the convention, I will try to get it dyno'd and we'll have a definitive answer as to how much horsepower a stock 2.5 milano with automatic makes