2000 crank pulley nut size, again

Russ Neely's report (in AD8-802) that "The early Alfa 2000 had an enclosed cap
nut that extended down into the pulley.  It required a 38 mm socket" while
"Later Alfa 2000 used a normal nut that takes a 36 mm socket" was contrary to
my garage-check (in AD8-796) in which the '73 (a Euro 2000) had 36 mm and the
'78 (a Sport Sedan, the US version of the second series Alfetta berlina) had
the 38 mm closed nut.

Going back over the several replies to the original question (Joe Fillip, in
793) and cross-checking a bunch of parts books it seems that "yes" is the
correct answer to John Fielding's "Is the 38mm nut something peculiar to NA
Alfa's" and that ralphone, in 797, zeroed in on the definitive point: Spica
cars are 38 mm. I don't have anything on the Bosch cars, but all of the main
(or "Euro") parts books from the Giulia T.I. through 1974 show the open nut
105.00.02.105.00 and all of the Spica-variant parts books I have, 1750,
115-2000, and Alfetta, show the closed nut 105.50.02.105.00. Presumably the
Bosch cars, without a Spica drive belt, simply followed all the prior non-US
practice on the nut.

It follows then that Russ is not entirely correct in writing "The crankshaft
pulley / harmonic balancers can be interchanged if you change the nut at the
same time." The Spica pulley and closed nut could be used on a non-Spica car,
but going the other way would be difficult.

Cheers

John H.