Voltage regulator location

Hey cats,

Where is the voltage regulator in Alfetta GTs?
Is it left and front in the engine bay? Is it
a can about 2x2x3 (inches) mounted up high, near
hood-line between the water bottles and the front
body supports (radiator support)?

I've been doing some piecemeal wire replacement
since many wires are not in good shape following
my engine rebuild last year. I noticed that this
can has only one wire hooked up to it, and it
goes to the alternator. I know it had at least
three wires on it since I recrimped some loose
ends on it several years ago.

I'm guessing the guy got the car running and
didn't hook everything up. What sort of effects
could this cause, anyone know? The only thing
I've noticed funny is a pause in starting some
times. I thought it was the ignition switch,
which is why I was planning on a push button (a

Also - The wiring diagram shows all the wires
and where they come from, but I don't know
physically where they plug in. If I remove it
from the car and turn it over, will it be obvious
looking at the diagram and the bottom of the
can, where each wire plugs in?

And another thing - what do the numbers next to
the wire color mean in the diagrams? Are they
mm diameter of the wire? There is an R4 from the
alternator to the starter, and an N35 from the
starter to the battery (though my N35 should be
an R35 because it is actually red). Those two are
the thickest wires in the car. Most other wires
have no numbers, but there are a few 2s in the
diagrams.

Many thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA