Re: 164 LCD display

Regarding your question on repairing the faded-out digits on the LCD display
for the heat/vent/AC controls, there have been volumes discussed on this
issue, but few firm solutions short of a new unit ($$$$$$).

The problem (and understand I've never repaired a display myself) is
generally cold solder joints and cracks in the ribbon cable termination,
where it  is bonded to the circuit board at the back of the unit.  A handful
of owners have apparently resoldered these connections and restored some
clarity to the display.  But the points are so small, it is very diificult to
do this without botching the entire conector.   Much discussion can be found
in the AD archives, and at the old 164 Forum at
www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/notes0.htm

I suggest you remove the unit, and allow a competent tech at an industrial
electronics shop to repair the cable for you.   They deal in this type of
hardware all the time, and have the proper equipment to diagnose and possibly
repair the connection point.   Good luck, and if you find a breakthrough
solution at reasonable cost, many late model 164 owners would like to hear
about it!

Dave Jarman
Lexington, KY
USA