Re: alfa-digest V8 #786

In a message dated 6/3/2002 1:12:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I think that what you were looking at were the Veloce style boot covers.
> There were two different types of boots for the later Spiders.  The
> Graduates
> got a cover that attached with clips and only covered the top boot itself,
> while the Veloces and Qs got a cover that extended over the entire area
> behind the seats.
> Last time I checked, IAP had the Veloce covers in stock, but they ran
> nearly
> $500.

I was able to find one of these being sold in very good shape, with only one
of the plastic "forks" broken.  A new one wasn't hard to come by and cost
about $5 plus a simple effort to replace it.  This was part of the project to
"velocize" the 91 Spider.

This type of boot locks onto the rear deck with lugs on the chrome strips
that didn't come on the non-Veloce cars, so if you're after one of these
boots, you will also need to come up with a set of lugs.  Replacement is
pretty easy using a "suitable tool" which is America I think we can a
Phillips screwdriver.

This Veloce boot is much better than the flimsy old-style boots, as we had on
the 71 Spider.  Not only is it neater in appearance, and actually easier to
put on and take off, but it makes a nice place to stow stuff out of sight and
weather on a trip, and access is pretty good since they thought to put in a
vertical zipper in the center, which you can reach from either seat
(especially if you are a yogi).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA

Charlie