RE: Sudden Power loss

> My 82 spider veloce hadn't been driven in over a year.  Taking it out for
> a spin, the engine quit suddenly, no sputtering, just instant loss like I
> turned off the ignition.  After sitting and cranking a few minutes, it
> started back up.  Again it did the same thing after a few more miles.
> Could this be a fuel pump problem, because I seem to remember a constant
> whine from the pump when I had the ignition on and can't here it anymore.
>  Or possibly the fuel filter is clogged with sediment.  Or worse is this
> an ignition problem that involves sensors, etc.?  Any help in diagnosing
> would be appreciated.

If it quit suddenly, with no sputtering, I'd suspect electrics over fuel as
the problem (but you should probably change the fuel filter anyhow).

The '82 is still Spica injected, not Bosch, right?  If so, then I'd suspect
either the ignition switch itself or maybe one of the connectors to the
coil.

If things were fine before you put it away, and it just started acting up,
I'd suspect a flaky connection somewhere.  Poke around the coil and
distributor, pull connectors, clean them, and put them back together.  Look
for loose wires.

If the car is Bosch injected, then yes, there could be sensors involved.

Fred, put on your glasses and get to writing those troubleshooting guides,
will you?

;)

bs