Re: Fiat (Alfa) and GM

on 6/5/02 8:55 AM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 00:25:02 -0400
> From: "Paul Begemann" <pbegem@domain.elided>
> Subject: Fiat (Alfa) and GM
>
> Very interesting Automotive News story re Fiat (and obviously Alfa) and GM.
> If (and that is a big IF) this story is accurate and full takeover of Fiat
> by GM is inevitable.  It also sounds as if Fiat's "put" option negotiated a
> couple of years ago was nothing short of brilliant by them, and potentially
> the opposite by GM:
>
> http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=39545

I hate to seem like a pessimist, but I fear that if GM ends up owning Alfa
Romeo (via Fiat), its the end of the marque as we know it. Alfas will become
more like Opels: no character, and based on Opel's chassis, will no longer
have that special Italian car 'feel' that we Alfisti like so much; that
combination of handling, ride, and feedback to the driver that seemingly
exists in every Italian car from the lowest Fiat 500 to the most expensive
Ferrari. Just my opinion, you understand.

George Graves