Spider Water Pump Failure

OhOh...

About two years ago I put a new Water Pump on my '84 Spider Veloce (which I had owned about 2 years at the time).
It's my daily driver so I'm attentive to fluids, bets, hoses, etc....
Last week I noticed a puddle under the nose.  YIKES!!  The 2 year old pump is leaking from behind the pulley.
The belt does not appear to have been too tight.

Question-
1-Are these pumps that fragile!!  A two year service life is very disappointing.
2- Did I miss something putting it on that led to an early failure?

If this is going to be a regular event, guess I'll replace the studs with bolts.
I incorrectly thought this was a once and out job so I left it stock the first time....

Thanks for the advise,

Nick
'84 Spider
Apex, NC