The rejoicing continues

Today I filled the trans, hooked up the temp exhaust, and put the K&N air
filters back on the GTV (I still need to pick up a few small parts to get the
stock Spica airbox back in service).  Had a "doh!" moment as I installed the
air filters -- I had put a black rubber cap over the idle air inlet on the
manifold while I was cleaning parts so I wouldn't get any gunk in it (kind of
dumb, since I didn't cover any of other holes).  It was still on there, which
is why the car wouldn't idle...  Now it idles at about 700 RPM when warm.  The
pump gap is zilch, so there's some adjusting to do, but overall the Spica and
timing seem to be pretty close.

Went for short ride to the gas station, and my seat-o-meter says the car has
significantly more go.  Hard to say what really is making the difference,
since the pistons, rings and liners are not only new but are higher
compression, and the Spica has a new TA.  I'm not going to lose any time
trying to figure it out, I'm just going to enjoy it!

All the new front end parts are a HUGE improvement -- the steering now feels
very direct.  I just eyeballed the alignment, and it is still set a bit to toe
out.  I'll toe it in a bit more for today, then next week after the exhaust is
done I'll take it to the alignment shop.  Just out of curiousity I measured
the clearance from the sump to terra firma -- 5 inches.  I think I need to be
shoppin' for a sump gaurd, no matter how stiff my suspension is (and it is
stiff).

I'm really wondering -- is there a law against running without a hood?  I
really hate to cover all that shiny aluminum and new paint, and the unmuffled
intake snort is much more effective at making pedestrians jump! ;-)

Cheers,

Tony
Portland, OR
74 GTV 2000 (It's ali-i-i-i-ive!)
70 2800CS (I'm sure I'll drive it again, someday...)