Drive Shaft Support

My 82 Spider is making thumping sounds on acceleration.  The sound lasts
only for a few seconds as I take off but it is not a good sound.  Ujoints
feel tight but shaking the drive shaft replicates the sound from the drive
shaft support so I think I have found the problem.  My question is:  when
you replace the rubber support, should you always replace the support
bearing as well ?  Can the rubber go bad without the bearing going bad or
should I just replace both and be safe about it ? Is this a difficult
replacement process ?
Thanks.
Brian