Gel cell batteries

R&T recently published a letter and addendum to the effect that the gel
cell in Miatas is a very expensive special product made for the Miata in
Japan. It is high quality and very long lived. Aftermarket replacements are
also gel cell but perhaps not of the same high quality.

On the other hand, my regular lead acid sealed for life AC Delco brute of a
battery that ARDONA installed in my 91 164L as new lasted 10 years of
Canadian winter and summer driving. This is the longest lived battery I
have ever had under Canadian conditions. Normally we look for new batteries
every four to five years.

I believe the huge size and trunk mounted location are the keys to its
longevity, as well as the good quality of expensive North American made
batteries. If that is generally true, then a gel cell would be a waste of
money in a 164. IMHO

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada