Alfa Purchace Decisions..

I wanted to ask the group some opinions, and possibly get some
stimulating discussion going, on directions in buying/restoring an Alfa.

My situation is this: After over 15 years, I want an Alfa again. Now
married, instead of this being a problem, my wife likes the idea, even
to the point of helping with the work on the car. ("As long as it's a
convertible.. a RED one!!") So, joined the local Alfa club, have been
looking out and searching ads, talking to the local mechanic, etc.

In my twenties, I used to LOVE to work on the car, take things apart,
spend the whole weekend working on it.  Now in my fourties.. well, I'd
still like to do it, but perhaps not as much.  I don't have a well
stocked garage, so that would have to be built up.  I also don't have a
heck of a lot of cashflow right now. (I know, what AM I thinking?)

I'm finding differing philosophies, in the folks I'm talking to.

They seem to be polarized between two main points.  More or less:
  A. You want to do EVERYTHING on the car, right now, to get it all
right, so you get the most enjoyment (life) out of your investment.

  B. Get a car, either able now, or work it up to, being reasonably
driveable.. drive it and enjoy, while slowly fixing things as needed or
other situations allow.

My local mechanic, seems big on the "pick worthy car, spend $15-20K, or
you'll be sorry" method as what you should do.  It didn't pass my
attention that they do a lot of restoration work, besides straight
mechanics.  I brought in a Spider I was looking at for an evaluation,
and he pretty much tore it down as something I should buy.. It was
better than the last two I looked at..

I can see the reasoning to do it all at once.. cheaper taking things
apart only one time.. if you have rust to fix.. going to bare metal with
all parts off is probably best, etc..

I'm kind of torn.  I'm not afraid of working on a car.. and feel I have
pretty good (if very rusty) mechanical skills.. worked on my former
Alfa's to the point of pulling the Berlina engine for sump repair and
doing the lower timing chain. I'd actually be interested in rebuilding
an engine.  Then again.. I don't want a car that will be in the garage
for years before it's ready for the road, rust repair being my big fear
there..

I don't need it to be Concourse, just look nice, and drive well..

So, as my rambling thoughts close here.. I'd like to hear your
thoughts..  I think just describing them has clarified it for me that
I'm leaning more to the slower do it myself project.. and that brings
forth another line of questions like "Project car, how to tell just how
BIG a project one will be?" which we can get to in another thread.

Thanks, all..

Jon and Marcia  (yes, we really are) still Alfaless in Irvine..