Re: Changing T-Belt and Waterpump on a 164

steven silverstein <milano164@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have changed the T-belt on Milanos before but I am
> about to change one on a 164L.

Here's a potential gotcha:

The 164 has a different water pump pulley than the Milano.
It's larger, and it's removable, to allow access to a few of
the screws that secure the water pump to the block.

With the water pump pulley in place, it comes very close to
the crank pulley.  The gap between them is perhaps 1/8".

Before applying your favorite gasket sealer to the new water
pump and torquing down all those little screws, reattach that
water pump pulley and make sure that it doesn't actually
*contact* the crank pulley.

Even with the water pump loose, the two pulleys shouldn't
touch.  However, I know of at least one 164 block which was
made with the water pump attachment holes drilled a little
lower than normal, causing this problem.

If the pulleys touch, wedge a shim between them to raise the
water pump before tightening the screws.

-Tom
thomasw@domain.elided