From: Joe Cantrell [mailto:agiyo@domain.elided]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 11:20 AM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided; crawfordpat@domain.elided
Subject: Cable Lubes

Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 08:53:00 -0500
From: "Crawford, Pat" < crawfordpat@domain.elided <mailto:crawfordpat@domain.elided>

Subject: speedo cable

This last weekend I changed out my speedometer cable and was advised that
the cable came prelubed form the factory and that I didn't have to add any
grease. However, after a test run yesterday, it sounds like it is not
spinning freely enough, similar to the sound that happened before it broke
off before. What are some things I should check out, should I take it out
and add some grease maybe?
Thanks,
Pat Crawford

I always fill new mechanical cables with motorcycle chain lube, either one
that leaves grease or one that leaves graphite/silicon, depending on the
application.

We've mentioned it before, but motorcycle chain lube has many applications
on cars, too.  A cable can be done from a drip container, but with an
aerosol can, you can for instance stick your hand inside your Spider door
panel and hit all the window regulator pulleys and cable, plus the inner
latch mechanism.

Highly recommended.

Joe