Re: Spider oil pan incident

Some years ago I went over a railway crossing a little too fast in my MIlano
and a rock which was stuck in one of the rails hit my sump, which on a Milano
sits very low. Bells rang, lights flashed and rockets went off as oil poured
out of the large hole and onto the roadway. Had the car towed to a garage
which had to pull the motor  and replace the sump with a used one from A.P.E.
Insurance paid for all plus a new catalytic and exhaust header, as both had
dents in them but were still good. I believe I got around $3.5 to $4K back
then for it, which left some $$$ over for other repairs. Last year I did
likewise in my 164, hitting a bad pothole in a Berkeley street (not a rare
thing in Beserkeley as the streets there are in terrible condition). This
just dented the header but also pushed up the exhaust manifold a tad, causing
a small leak in one end, thus rendering it useless. Again insurance paid for
replacement, approx. $1500 which included new header, gasket, header pipe and
two flexpipes (which were trashed when exhaust was dropped). In both cases,
being one-car accidents, I was judged at fault and had to pay deductible and
also gained two black marks on my record.
Graham Arlen
Oakland CA