Re: Rodnox

Noises from the Old Farts' corner:

Back when we wuz young and skinny, and old Chevys with poured rod bearings were still in general use (and generally available at
$150 or so apiece), we knew that said bearings were on their way out when knocking occurred on the overrun. Rattling on
acceleration was usually preignition, and called for fiddling with mixture and/or timing (as against switching to higher octane
fuel, since a properly tuned Chevy 6 will just about run on hair oil). On the other hand, a knocking that happened when you took
your foot OFF the gas was Bad News for sure, unless you knew where you could get a GMC engine (with shell bearings on both mains
and rods) for cheap, and were just waiting for an excuse to swap it in.

Now, I realize that the similarities between an Alfa twincam 4 and a Chevy stovebolt 6 pretty much begin and end with the fact
that they both run on gasoline, but wouldn't the various kinds of knocks and rattles follow the same pattern?

Will Owen
Not gettin' any younger in
Pasadena, CA