too easy (82 spider)

Searching for the source of a rattle in the cylinder head in the 1800-2200
RPM range, I was inclined to check the valve clearances yet again (this was
done about 3 months ago and everything was even and near perfect).  So I
took out the "engine maintenance" section of the shop manual...

I had checked timing belt deflection a while back but the simple procedure
of loosening the tensioner one turn, putting the car in 5th and rolling
through an engine rotation eliminated the rattle.  I am thrilled.

Another note - this car has a "new" oil filler cap.  After a nice run in the
car I noticed some oil (not a lot) in the area around the cap.  I had added
oil last night but figured, hey, i dripped some.  I wiped it up, went
driving again.  Another little spot.

Removing the (metal) oil cap and bending the tabs in slightly created much
greater tension against the opening.  Suddenly my engine is even quieter -
I've had the cap for months and never really thought it was venting.  Made a
nice difference in noise (no more puff-puff) and the cap ended up being
another source of the rattle - it is now gone.

It was too easy.  So when you are rattling, check the stupid stuff and never
assume a "new" anything is going to fit perfectly.