Question about rod knock

Alfa - 1975 Alfetta 2.0L

Problem - possible rod knock.

Question - Can rod knock sound make a motor sound like a diesel?  That's
the sound I'm hearing under light throttle.  Under heavy throttle all I
can really here is the blown out, raspy sounding rear muffler.  If it is
indeed rod knock, what are my options?  I'm sure I'll here everything
from just drive it to full rebuild.  I plan on driving her until
something really evil happens to the motor as this Alfetta started out
as a $50 purchase & I really don't feel the need to dump a few grand
into the motor.

Cheers,
Zach
Redmond, WA