Alfa, movies, cool

In a message dated 5/6/2002 9:50:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Back in the 80's when Spiderman was really big I think hasbro or mattel came
> out with  Spiderman action figures and Spiderman's car was an Alfa Romeo.
> No
> particular model sort of a hybrid Alfa look but said Alfa nonetheless. So
> even though they showed in the movie it being a low cost car (which it is)
> wouldn't it be cool if Spiderman's car was known to be an Alfa Romeo. Man
> GM
> wouldn't have to market them it be just like Bond and the Astins. (ha ha)

See "Contempt" see "Blade Runner" see "The Good Life" see "8 1/2"  see "La
Dolce Vita" - NEVER see "Bottle Rocket"

There is a business here known as product placement, which simply is a
brokerage that buys TV and movie screen exposure for its clients' products;
unless there is some story point, for example, it is up to the whims of the
director, art director, production designer, and the producer which highest
bid determines which make of car, for example, the hero drives.

A very famous example is the Reeses Pieces candies fed to the alien in ET; in
the script they were M&Ms but then there was a better offer...

You will see Alfas more in pictures if Alfas are again sold where the
pictures are made, if there is a decent promo budget, and if there is any
juice behind the sales efforts.

Recent comments about Alfas and their US promotion, about GM, about the
essential nature of expensive TV time, etc. neglect to mention this: ad media
is sold by contract; there are types of contracts (such as national
contracts, retail contracts, and some contracts offering special rates
according to the type of advertiser such as car lots or retail stores), but
all contracts sell the exposure in bulk and the more you buy, the less you
pay.  So, if a manufacturer such as FIAT decided to try the USA again and
back their wares with TV time, they would sign up for a contract covering
only the time they'd be buying for their oddball Italian import.  But, if
marketing is handled through GM, they could very well get the Italian entry
onto their bulk rate contracts and therefore buy the TV exposure at a vastly
cheaper price.

Of course, all things are relative and cheaper still means a lot of money.
It is something like if you were to drop a 750 on your foot or a school bus;
the 750 is way lighter, but compared to your foot, they are both very heavy
and can inflict crushing pain.  If you wouldn't risk dropping the 750, could
you even consider the bus?

Charlie
LA, CA, USA