Mark's timing belt tensioner

Mark wrote
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 18:43:13 -0400
From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
Subject: Timing Belt Dilema

When I got home with the milano last night, and turned off the ignition
it shut down with a ka-chunk.   I thought "that didn't sound right."

This morning when I started it, it fired up, but ran very poorly.   I
quickly turned it off, and popped the hood.   I pulled the timing belt
covers, and sure enough the belt had jumped.

I pulled out the light and a small mirror and examined the mechanical
tensioner.  I hadn't had the chance to examine one before, but I quickly
found the source of the problem...  The external spring end had snapped
off.   *sigh*

Now the timing belt/tensioner was changed a scant 6k miles ago (done a
few days before I bought the car.)   The water pump was not changed at
that time... and I'm not exactly sure when it was last changed (I don't
see it on any of the service records I have.)

So here's my dilema:  Do I just change the tensioner?
(fastest/cheapest/easiest solution.)   Do I order a new belt too? and if
I have to replace the belt anyway should I order a water pump too?

How much of a bigger pain is the works than just the tensioner?

	--Mark
Now I thought I was cheap! Get a new tensioner AND a new belt. The belt
could be damaged internally and if it breaks so will lots of expensive
bits.

BTW we in UK land had TV used car Guru Quentin Wilson pushing B*W 3 series
last night, he mentioned that if the timing belt wasn't changed in the last
20K miles, get it done. Now how reliable are those things? (AND I thought
they had chains!)
Jonathan Coates