Re: New GTV Launch Date

on 5/6/02 1:19 PM, alfa-digest at owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided wrote:

> Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 19:45:16 +0000
> From: "Roger Mein" <roger_mein@domain.elided>
> Subject: New GTV launch date
>
> Does anyone have any reliable information on when the new GTV is going to
> be launched in Europe?  Most of the motoring magazines say 2004, but my
> local Alfa dealer is indicating that it could be some time next year, but
> they don't have anything definite.  As the oldest models in the current
> range, the GTV and Spider are due for replacement, but I suspect that the
> new Spider will launch first, leaving the rumoured more expensive GTV to
> follow afterwards. Roger MeinSurrey, UK

You've been paying too much attention to the rumor mill. Ever since the
Brera became the hit of the Geneva show back in March, rumors have abounded
that this car is the new GTV and dates for its introduction have bandied
about like a volleyball.

The way I put this together is as follows:

1) The first 'Next Generation' Alfa will be a new Pininfarina Spider.
Current plans are for it to debut at the 2005 Detroit Auto Show and go
on-sale in both the USA and Europe sometime in the spring or early summer of
that year.

2) The new Spider has yet to be finalized. No one knows exactly what it will
look like or what drive configuration it will have, what engine, what
suspension, etc. In short, its little more than a few Pininfarina sketches
at the moment (SECRET Pininfarina sketches, at that).

3) It is HIGHLY unlikely that the Brera will make it into production as the
next GTV. The Brera is a design exercise by ItalDesign. It was not even
displayed on the Alfa Romeo stand, but on the ItalDesign stand. Fiat has
"officially" said that Alfs has "no plans to put the Brera into production."
Some Automotive wag at some British magazine recently said that if Alfa
doesn't build the Brera, someone at the company should be shot. Maybe so.
But my advice for said journalist is, load your gun.

4) If we see a new GTV anytime soon, it will be because Alfa has decided to,
once again, beef-up an existing sedan like the 156 or the 147 and CALL it a
GTV (like they did with the new GTA). A Coupe version of the Spider, could
follow the Spider, and be called a GTV, but we're talking about 2006-2007
here.

5) The next new car one is likely to see from Alfa Romeo is a new "Sprint."
This will be a fastback version of the 147 (Analogy: the 147 3-door sedan is
to the 147 "Sprint" as the Volkswagen GTI was to the Corrado). Some
speculation is that the "Sprint" will be avialable with the 2.5 liter 156
V-6. If so, it will be a screamer. Now, if only they would lose the
regrettable FWD.....