Cigarette seals

Julius here in SoCal said also that officially (AR) the cigarette seals are
replaced with silicone. I went ahead at the time and ordered it from Julius,
and got something called Loctite 510, with everything written on it in
italian. The "Special" dispenser consisted of a regular squeeze plastic tube
(like the RTV you buy at Pep Boys), with a special cap, that just looks
fancy, but essentially is an ordinary squeezze spout. The stuff is pink.
$15, I think. I shied away from it and installed regular after market
cigarette seals from Ricambi, and, after 500 miles, Mobil 1 is getting
cooked on my exhaust, once again. Could be the main seal, which I replaced,
too. Don't ask me.
Thing is with this stuff: You either have to have the engine upside down
(IMHO) or find a way to keep it from flowing out before it dries.

I talked to Uwe at Omega Motorsports at the time, too, and asked him about
it. He laughed, and said with a smirk: try it. He said he doesn't use it,
and just uses aftermarket cig seals, too. I don't know. I might give it a
try next time, if I don't take another trip with my beloved Alfa 164L
soon-to the scrapyard.
--
Matthias Kuster L.A., CA
1991 164L "Alfonso"