Switch in Spider Bell Housing

       Sorry, but you have been mislead.  The switch inside the bellhousing
on late spiders is activated when reverse gear is engaged.  It turns on the
back up lights.
       I have a transmission on the bench at this very moment.  I went and
looked for sure.  Switch is open when transmission is in any gear.  Put it in
reverse and the switch closes.  I even verified that with a volt ohmmeter.
       There may be seat belt inter locks on some Alfas, but they activate a
buzzer or did before I disconnected them.  They do not prevent the car from
starting unless someone's butt is in the driver's seat.  Or at least none of
my Alfas act that way.  I have never owned a 164, so who knows what that Alfa
does.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 05/03/2002 12:27:21 PM Central Daylight Time, GModelle
writes:

> Actually, Russ, it's an interlock that detects neutral so the starter is
> not engaged unless one's posterior is in the car and the seatbelts are
> fastened.  Several Digester's steered me straight. Thanks for your
> response, however.

    Reverse gear.  It turns on the back up lights.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City