motivation

In a message dated 5/2/2002 7:35:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> It's hard to imagine GM actually bringing over Alfas to sell.  Of course
> GM's dropping Oldsmobile, which sold in the hundreds of thousands annually,
> and that makes you wonder what they'd expect sales-wise from Alfa Romeo....
>
> ...Now you tell me how serious they could be about importing from Italy and
> selling a real enthusiasts' Alfa.
>
> Mr. Goose

You may think this is for the birds, but I can very easily imagine a
motivation that has nothing to do with selling units, especially if most of
the risk of the inventory is pushed off on erstwhile partner FIAT.  I think
the General is looking for a quick and cheap way to inject some European sex
and excitement (and sense of sophistication) into their dowdy, aging line.
They are looking at the demographics outside the Midwest for once, and the
fleet market, at the sensibilities of people who are not like their core
customer base -- you know, the people who will make or break them in the
years to come.  They show a glimmering, 30 years in the making, of looking
forward instead of over their shoulders to the glory days of yore when they
were truly fat and happy and all their international competitors lay in
smoking ruins abroad.

Olds and Buick., I think, represent the old paradigm and they have outlived
their usefulness and appeal -- the image they carry, which was once part of
their success, is now poison as far as market segments with any future are
concerned.  They are a languishing Maxwell House casting a yellowed eye at a
booming Starbucks.  Alfa can give GM a shot in the arm, like a B12 vitamin
injection; but a shot of vitamins, no matter how beneficial, is no substitute
for a good healthy diet (or astronauts would just take a bottle of vitamins
in o space; of course, they have to have actual food to survive).  Well, GM
has been so focused on bland meat loaf and mashed potatoes for so long that
they are grasping at a vitamin supplement somewhere, and Alfa is one vitamin
I think they'll try to boost floor traffic at dealerships that appeal mainly
to octogenarians (present company excluded)  and to recapture the yummy
market segments  they let slip through their fingers due to being mind numb
for so long.  I don't think it is about selling Alfa units in the USA.  It is
about reinvigorating a geriatric giant.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
"how come you know so much but you're still so poor?"