GTV6 transaxle question

Hi-
My GTV6 started making a "clunk!" when I let off the gas, particularly in
3rd and 4th gear.  So, I started taking stuff off the car to figure out what
the problem was.  The driveshaft and all its doughnuts are fine, as are all
the engine mounts.  The clutch is fine also.  I could reproduce the clunk
when I turned the input shaft of the transmission back and forth with the
car in 3rd or 4th gear. SO, I took off the front half of the transaxle and
pulled out the gearbox.  Nothing is grossly wrong, no stripped gears, etc.
If I engage 3rd or 4th gear and turn the input shaft while I keep the pinion
shaft still, there is play, probably 1/16" or more.  The is play in 1 but
not in 2.  5th seems pretty tight.  It looks to me as if there play between
the synchro hubs and the synchro sleeves in 1/2 and 3/4.  The problem is
only when I let off the gas; there is no corresponding clunk when I get back
on the gas (I think).  Any ideas?  What I can see of the differential is OK,
the spider gears are not stripped.  My CV joints are fine, and there is no
play in them.
Thanks,
Al