Re: Brake light Switch 74 GTV

In a message dated 4/25/2002 12:47:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Subject: Brake light Switch 74 GTV
>
> Can someone please explain the operation of the brake light switch for a
> 74 GTV.  I am having intermittent brake light problems.
>
> I have 12 + volts on one side of the switch and Zero volts on the other,
> when I push on the pedal, the 12+ volt side drops to zero and the lights
> do not work.  Is this how it should work?  Or do I have a bad switch?

       You have a bad or almost open connection on the 12V input wire.
Probably at the fuse.  When you push the pedal, that wire should maintain
about 12V, the other wire should show about 12V and the brake lights should
work.
       With a bad input connection, you will show the 12V until you put a
load on the circuit (step on the pedal), then the voltage will drop to 0V.
Dirty fuse connections cause some WEIRD happenings in Alfas!

Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va.