right octane

In a message dated 4/22/2002 7:29:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I think it is high time we 164 owners save money by buying 89 octane
> fuel.   Anyone got a problem with that?   I must admit I believed the
> owners manual when it specifies 93 Octane fuel.     Not anymore!   I'll
> wait to hear what y'all  have to say before I give you the real scoop.
> Fire Away, Fred Di Matteo  AROC USA Technical Advisor in Fort Myers,
> Florida
Personally, I always use the highest octane I can buy in the Alfas,  just on
general principals and perhaps because I am a fool.

When was the last time you tested the fuel that came out of the pump to see
if it is really what it is supposed to be?  Maybe it says 93 but it is really
89.  Who would know - until there was a problem you would diagnose as
something else.  They probably all water the stuff down.

I ESPECIALLY would not trust the state government to closely monitor the
actual octane of gasoline at retail in a state with a Bush in office.  But
that's just me.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA