Re:Points?

>To all,
>I finally finished changing out my water pump and now the car will not
>start, only backfires so loud that it sounds like a gunshot. I also changed
>out the plugs, wires, cap , rotor, fuel filter, but did not do anything with
>the points. Will a maladjustment of the points cause this problem? I was
>talking to a guy at work and he advised to check out the vacuum that is
>attached to the spark advance. He was talking theory to me and I am not sure
>if this applies to my 80 spider, does it make sense to ya'll? I anxiously
>await your response, as I hope to get this puppy on the road this week.
>Thanks,
>Pat Crawford
>Dallas

Pat

If everything was working ok before, then the points. condensor,coil, plugs
are likely to be ok. The clue is that the engine backfires and will not
start: these are classic symptoms of serious mis-timing. I think that the
plug wires (HT wires) have got crossed up when you changed them so the
ignition is trying to fire the wrong cylinders. To fix:
1. Get the engine on TDC on #1 ("P" mark aligned with pointer and #1 con
compression stroke)
2. Take the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is pointing to.
That position is where the #1 wire should go on the distributor cap.
3. Now get all the other wires in correct firing sequence - remember :the
rotor turns clockwise.

Have had a lot of practice at this lately with a competition engine in
which the rotor turns anti-clockwise. Guess who was retarding the ignition
and getting firing order wrong because he is so used to working on Alfas
and not stoopid Fords??!!

Les
Back in the world of Alfa after 5 months of competing in the National FF
Championship