Radio installed!

Hey -

Mooches gracious to all the Digesti who gave helpful
advice when we were contemplating the replacement of
our Milano's radio. The near-unanimous endorsement of
Crutchfield was advice well given; while they didn't
have exactly what I was looking for, the sad fact is
that this unit of my dreams no longer exists; every
car radio now on the market bears the aspect of a
Wurlitzer jukebox as interpreted by the guy who
art-directs those Johnny Rockets places. In the
context of the Milano's dash, it has the aspect of a
particularly gaudy Bulgari watch worn with an Armani
suit, but at least we have our music back...

Anyway, Crutchfield's instructions, combined with the
various tips and hints from many of you, gave me
almost everything I needed to know about the removal
and replacement of said radio. There was a sort of
spring clip that nobody had mentioned which kept the
console-cum-radio section from coming loose until I'd
lost a bit of skin (and a bit of temper as well), but
that's only to be expected...and Crutchfield's first
shipment failed to include the U-shaped DIN-unit
removal tools, and their customer service initially
told Tania that we didn't need'em. I called back and
insisted we did, whereupon a set of those and a very
handsome apology arrived shortly thereafter, postage
paid.

I'm not saying I'd do it again - there are some things
worth paying others to do, and I've decided this is
one of them - but this episode was about as painless
as it could be. Thanks, y'all.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://games.yahoo.com/