Re: 93 octane for 164

Looking forward to what Fred has to say on the octane rating for a 164, but
in the meantime, here's my two bob's worth from the Australian perspective:

*89 Octane Standard ULP:  Performance is ordinary, pinging is common under
load.  About 380km per tank (city driving, and filling when the fuel light
comes on).
*95 Octane Premium ULP:  Much smoother performance, no pinging, and about
420km per tank.  Sometimes would get attacks of pinging, so not all 95
octane created equal.
*98 Octane Premium ULP:  A bit smoother than 95, noticeable that the engine
copes better with stop/start driving, backing off throttle etc.  No pinging
ever while using 98 Octane.  No better fuel economy than 95.

With 98 Octane now widely available in Australia from Shell, Mobil, BP and
Caltex, it seems to be replacing 95 Octane as the "Premium" fuel (This only
holds for capital cities - 98 Octane out of these area can still be
difficult to get).

Can't get to my owner's manual at present to check, but I think that it
specifies 95RON minimum for the 164.

John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.