Re: electric fuel pump?

Adrian -  Alfa has thoughtfully provided a mount under the passenger
side of the car just forward of the rear axle for a Bendix electric
pump. Since some '65 Veloce Spiders came with an electric pump, you're
not risking a loss of authenticity by availing yourself of this
convenience.

Pegasus (1-800-688-6946) carries a replica of the original pump by Facet
(P/N 1105) for about $80. You'll also need the mounting kit (P/N 1130)
for about $12. Aside from running a wire from the ignition switch to the
new pump, that's all you'll need.

It's a good idea to remove the old mechanical pump. Pegasus sells a
blanking plate to cover the hole left by the old pump too but I don't
have a record of the part number or price. Just ask them when you order
the pump and mounting kit.

You should probably replace all of the flexible fuel line at this time
if it's original or you're not sure how old it is. Any auto parts house
can supply the right hose. Just bring in a piece of the old hose.

Look forward to instant starting from then on.

Bob K
Reston, VA
'61 Giulietta Spider

>Adrian Trevisan wrote
My 1965 Spider Veloce is hard to start after it sits for more than a day
or
two.  It cranks over several (or many) times until it finally catches.
mechanic I went to who replaced the starter for me thought that the
problem
might be that I still have the original mechanical fuel pump ("the gas
in
the bowls evaporates and the pump has trouble filling them up again
because
the engine's not turning over").  He suggested installing an electric
fuel
pump ("some even make a different sound when the bowls are filled").  Is

this a good idea?  I'm not terrible worried about the car being in show
condition (this would be minor compared to some other things) and would
like to ease the neighbors' worries about my sanity in owning "that
pretty
little old car."

Thanks

Adrian Trevisan