Thanks Fred (and Tom and Ron)

Fred gets the prize for diagnosing the starter problems on my new (to
me) 1969 1750 Spider, and he did so without even responding to my
e-mail.  A search on Google of "duetto" and "starter" turned up his
advice that the starter drive might be stuck in the ring gear and to
rock the car in 5th gear to dislodge it.  This worked.  Thanks Fred.

I also got useful advice from Tom Sahines, who answered my question
concerning starter swaps with the 79 Spider (no can do) and Ron Ewing.
Thanks, guys.

But my next question is, what should I do to keep the starter from
sticking again?  I like to keep my Alfas maintained in good enough
condition that a non-mechanically inclined person (i.e., my wife) can
operate them without getting stuck.  What do I have to do to the starter
to meet this standard?

Thanks
George Pond