blinded by the light NOT

My girlfriend just bought a '93 BMW 740i.  Upon until
then I used to think that the lighting in my '91 164L
was adequate.  However it's become obvious that even
the vanity mirror lights on the passenger side of her
car by themselves provide more lighting that all of my
interior lights combined.  My overhead lights are
especially unpredictable.  Sometimes one side or the
other is dim or not on at all.  Anyone else experience
this?  Done anything about it?  If so, will you share
please?
Also anyone experiment with Xenon bulbs?  Thumbs up or
thumbs down?
Finally, I replaced my oil pressure sending unit.  I
now have a nice reading.  However, the red light (not
the idiot light but the one that part of the gauge)
comes on about 2 seconds after starting the car.  Does
anyone know what's wrong.  This is the only light
that's truly blinding me.

Thanks
Carlos

'91 164L  daytime favorite