164 fan motor--best way to slow it down

For such a refined car, I find that the factory speed settings for the 164
HVAC fan to be much too fast. Maybe my hearing is overly sensitive, but I
don't think the fan, in position 1, should be heard at all. (Let's not
even talk about position 4!)  What would be the best way in slowing it
down?  Adding resistors?  What size (say for a 30 to 40% reduction)?  And
where best to introduce these?  Many thanks.  -Steven