WELDING

In my welding experience, I've realized that welding is a low
voltage, high amperage thingy, just like your car battery. The
juice will take the path of least resistance, which, if you have
a good ground, will be straight from the ground clamp to where
you are welding. it is unlikely to take the round about way through
your sensitive electronics. We wondered for awhile if two welding
machines could weld on the same piece. they can, and we only had
problems when one machine's extension cord was wired the reverse
of the other. (you may get a little tingle when touching the work
piece in that case, but the welding still worked.) so that's
what it took: hooking two out of three poles of three phase together
to cause any problems. I wouldn't worry about welding on my car:
perhaps if you are concerned, and are doing a major renovation
project, you may consider pulling the ecu while doing the work.
but for simply touching up a cat or exhaust, I wouldn't worry about
it. oh yeah, and if you were to say, try to weld directly onto
your ecu, all bets are off ;).

Dave Sisson
Dillon Kyle Architecture
3219 Milam