MIG Welding / 164 being delivered Tuesday! / Detroit AROC?

>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:41:29 -0400
>From: Mark Denovich <mark@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Two little holes in Catalytic converter

>The concensus on sci.engr.joining.welding seems to be to disconnect the
>negative terminal of the battery to break any induction loop.   However,
>it should be noted that most of the muffler shops (MIDAS, etc.) don't
>bother (otherwise they'd be having to deal with radio's requesting
>codes, and customers PO'd about losing their presets.)  The incidence of
>problems must be pretty low.

>I always make sure to have a good ground, and the clamp as close as
>possible to the piece I'm welding.

	--Mark

------------------------------

Don't know if any is interested, but there is company (Australian, with a US
parent company if I remember correctly) that makes what is, essentially, a
circuit breaker to protect against frying anything when you weld on your
ride - as I recall it mounts to the battery and (electrically speaking) sits
between the battery and everything else electrical on the vehicle.  I was
involved in quoting tooling and production for the unit overseas about 2/3
years ago.  I know they have a distributor here in the US and if any one is
interested I should be able to find the name and contacts for the company in
my files some where.

Alfa Content:
I was on the digest about 4 years ago when I was in Taiwan and owned an '89
Sprint Quadrafoglio and an '89 A33.  Got lots of good advice here!  I had to
get something larger for business eventually, and ended up with
not-an-Alfa - a depressing experience.  I've been Alfaless for about 3
years.  I moved back to the states about a year ago, and finally decided 3
weeks ago I needed an Alfa again - I had to get another car anyway, and
there just wasn't anything else out there I wanted to spend money on.

So my (new to me) '91 164L is being delivered tomorrow!
63K Miles, one owner, all the service records since new, and malfunctioning
power seat switches and remote entry system -- these are the only two
problems I could find, and the car seems to be in extraordinary condition
otherwise.

So the recent thread on 164 seat switches is right on time, though as I just
bought the car, I am pretty much planning to just replace the switches (my
local Alfa tech says they cost about $23/ea. and are in stock) - Hopefully
its not the motor as some of the recent thread suggests it might be.

Anyway, great to be back on the digest and in an Alfa.  If anyone out there
is in the Detroit area, drop me a line.  The Detroit AROC web site is about
18/24 months out of date, and I didn't get any reply when I e-mailed them.

Liano Sharon
'91 164L (being delivered tomorrow)
'89 Sprint Q4 and '89 A33 (long gone but fondly remembered)