RE:news from FIAT/SUVs etc.

The Panda 4x4 was a 4wd car, not so much an SUV. Certainly wouldn't want to
insult the poor Panda like that. It's only recently that the lines between
car-based and truck/van-based SUV have really been blurred. Back then, you
had cars, vans and trucks.

The Lada Niva appeared in 1978. I think Subaru probably owns the "first
compact SUV" award from 1973, if we are talking about car-based. However, I
think SUV is actually an evolution of MPV. Mazda may have created the MPV
(1982?), it certainly named it.