From: Glenn Wasserman
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2002 1:03 PM
To: 'alfa@domain.elided'
Subject: Tires

Hello all. I have a couple of sets of tires that I am trying to decide
what to do with. I'm not sure which would perform best for what I have
in mind.

I have a '93 Spider that I drive one or two days per week, and autocross
2-3 times per year. The Pirellis that are mounted on the stock 15"
phonedial rims are getting pretty worn. No cords showing, but not a lot
of tread left.

I also have a set of used, half-worn DOT-legal 15" track tires. These
are track-compound, not autocross-compound, but are street legal. They
are rain tires, so they are treaded - but the treads are not that deep.
The tread on these tires is also pretty hardened.

The problem I have right now is that I really don't want to autocross
again on the tires that are mounted on the car - I think it would finish
them off.  I could mount the track tires, but I"m not sure just how bad
they would be on the street... particularly if I get caught in the rain.
I make it a rule to never drive this car in the rain, but it's possiblet
that at some point (if the 164Q is getting work done) that I could get
caught in a shower.

So here are my questions:

1. Which is worse in the rain, DOT-legal track tires (I think they are
R1's) or worn-out Pirelli P4000's?
2. Which is worse in an autocross??

I know the best solution is a new set of tires - like some Falken
Azenis... but I'm trying to control my spending on this car right now,
since I know there's other work coming. Ideally I'd buy a new set before
the winter, or even after it.

Opinions?

Thanks,
-Glenn