re: GTV-6 quirk #2 (noise)

From: "Joe Garcia" <corsanostra@domain.elided>

...and another thing, the GTV-6 has developed an intermittent noise:

1- It *seems* as if it is coming from the general area of the front left
wheel
2- It is a "whum" noise that picks up with speed, i.e. when inching
forward  it sounds like "whummmmm...whummmmm" and at, say, 20 mph it
sounds like "whumwhumwhum".
3- It is not particularly loud, and is easily obscured by the sounds of
normal acceleration.
4- This only happens after the car as been driven some distance. On
relatively short trips (say, under 3-4 miles), the noise will never
appear.
5- When the brakes are applied **NO MATTER HOW LIGHTLY** the noise will
disappear.
6- The noise occurs both in-gear and coasting.
7- The noise does not increase/decrease by turning the steering wheel.

Hints? Help? Suggestions?

Joe -

At first I would have guessed a tire with a "mouse".  But you say
application of brakes makes it go away.  I might then think of a
(slightly) warped brake rotor.  It could be kicking the pad(s) off the
rotor by just the tiniest amount, allowing you to hear the resulting
noises.  How sensitive is your braking foot?  You *might* be able to
detect a slight vibration in the brake pedal.  You also *might* be able
to feel a slight dip in pedal position with the first application of the
brakes, as your pressure on the system takes up the minor amount of
slack created at the pad/rotor interface.  You may also notice it only
after the system gets up to a temperature where the warpage lets itself
be known.  i.e. the rotor is fairly true when cool, but warped (ever so
slightly) when heated up, even just a tad.

two cents worth of free advice

beware of Greeks baring gifts (yes, I know how I (mis)spelled that word)

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal - hawking Alfiesta 2002 for all I'm worth.  See y'all there.
(Hey.  It's *southern* California, get it)
Back under my rock for the evening.