Brakes

>>As vented rotors are not used on bikes I've not worked with any
outside of a few street cars.<<

Used on some mid 80's Yamahas, such as the early FZ750 (which
also had shallow groves in the disk surface).

I understand the reason for these grooves and / or slots is to allow
for the escape of a small volume of gas that builds up between the
pad and the disk

>>It's one of those counter intuitive things, but the fact is that *all
other things being equal* the braking is governed by the materials of
the disc and the brake pads and the force applied to the pads. Area has
absolutely nothing to do with it, which is something that catches out a
lot of first year physics students.<<

Surely the diameter of the disk is a major factor, affecting the leverage
the brake pads have on the wheel. Sort of reverse torque, with braking
force x disk diamter.

All the best

Keith