Bearing growl

Well, I've gotten a few responses on the bearing growl I was describing and
the general concensus was that something is amiss in the gearbox.  This
seems to coincide with the growl coming from the forward area of the
transmission.  The sound goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed to the
floor which I have learned does not implicate the throwout bearing.  I guess
I was a little turned around in my idea of when the bearing was under load.
I've been specifically pointed to the input side of things so I will have to
inspect the input shaft and pilot bushing.  Looks like its time to pull the
engine and transmission, or just the transmission based on recent
discussions.  Anyone have suggestions on a rebuilder on the west coast if I
chicken out of rebuilding this transmission?

Jason Ritchie
74 Spider
Boise, Idaho