Re: brake parts

Colin, ATE made the original braking components for your car (in fact most
Alfa's since the late 60's have used ATE components, including the current
Alfa range, except for the performance orientated models that use Brembo
brakes), so if you buy ATE components then you are in essence buying genuine
Alfa components. No need to pay for the Alfa Ricambi box, as it contains the
exactly the same parts you can buy cheaper in an Ate box.

I have never used "Car" brand discs, but having had some trouble with
"cheap" brake rotors on several cars recently, I would probably advise you
stick to better known braking components. I have been using genuine Ate
components for some years now, with only some minor problems- they generally
make excellent quality components. Brembo also make very good components,
and there are a number of less expensive brands that are also reasonable
quality- Bradi, Guttman, Bendix etc. With rotors, the trend nowadays is to
manufacture them very close to their minimum thickness- ie. they cannot be
grinded, so choose your pads carefully if you want long life from your
rotors.

As far as pads go, it depends on the type of braking the car will see. For
normal city/suburb driving, genuine Ate pads do the job just fine. I am a
big fan of Textar pads, which are slightly more expensive than Ate, but can
put up hard braking better than the Ate's and give nice pedal feel. For very
serious braking you would want a set of Ferodo's or Pagid. Anyway, I am sure
you will get lots of opininions on who makes the best pad, but I think you
will find standard Ate pads are adequate for your braking needs.

I may be flamed for this, but I believe cross drilled rotors serve very
little purpose on a street car, and are generally only bought for the wank
factor. Grooved discs can help, but you will generally not notice the
difference in normal street driving. On the track, well that another
story.....

Regards,

Sasha Nackovski- Melbourne, Australia.