Subject: How to clean pistons?

>In the past I've used a soft wire brush to remove the carbon from the
>piston top, but don't recall having to deal with the piston grooves or the

>underside of the piston.
>
>Is it OK to use a air blaster with glass beads?  (yes, I will be VERY

OK to clean piston tops with bead blaster, time savings removing deposits
is lost in masking, unmasking, cleaning, inspecting. Mask ring grooves,
etc. to prevent blasting. Do not bead blast ring lands, pin ID's, bottoms
of piston skirts, etc. Piston bottoms with burned on deposits (as opposed
to dark-ish varnish) may indicate piston overheating.