Re: Removable Spider Roll bars

Digesti,

I need to upgrade the rollbar in my autocross Spider, and have been
following the recent discussions. Here's my two cents worth:

In light of use for AROC and SCCA Solo II events, the rules from these
organizations must be considered. Russ Neeley is the AROC Competition
Chairman, and an SCCA race scrutineer, and will surely chime in with his
comments.

I believe the hoop must be continuous, so a "legality bump" such as I have
on my car is not acceptable regardless of how sturdy it's construction. My
memory of an Autopower bar purchased for my old 1750 spider is that the base
mounting bolts ran through the package sill area, then through reinforcing
plates plate under the car (this was to wrap the bar mounting around a
section of unibody construction, rather than just to the top). My current
car has a bar that bolts to tapped plates welded on the top of the sills.
I'm thinking the base must be "through bolted", not into a top mounted plate
(regardless of how sturdy it's construction), but this may not be correct..
Comments?.

 I, too, want a street/track bar and have wondered how to address the helmet
clearance requirement issue. While rules seem to mandate a continuous hoop
mounted on the frame/body, I wonder if a (top-clearing) shorter removable
hoop could be mounted in upright tubes, and then raised when needed with
spacers that would slide into the bottom of the uprights. These would need
to be solidly made, and as strong in vertical strength as a hoop butting on
the frame/body.

Once these mounting and height varying issues are settled, the diagonal and
lengthwise braces could be made removable through bolts or "Pip Pins". To
Brian Shorey's point, the rearward extensions would have to be attached to
the bar, not the uprights.

If a design could be established, there may be enough potential customers
for Biba to make a small run of these bars. How many would be needed?.

Hey Russ, help us out here with mounting and design requirements...

George Schweikle
Lexington, KY
'76 Spider

(snip)