Should I start this engine?

Last July I had to park the red berlina after a severe engine knock
developed in the space of ~10 miles.  I've always assumed it was a rod
bearing or piston pin.  After I towed the car home I started the (now cold)
1750 engine briefly.  It made the severe knocking noise but also made a
very distinct "screech"  that sounded like a slipping fan belt - or was
that a spinning bearing?

The engine has not been run since.  Should I start and run the engine for
any diagnostic reason before I remove it for rebuild or replacement?  What
diagnostic tests would those be?  Upon disassembly, will the bad bearing or
piston pin be obvious?

Thanks,  //KCT, Powell, TN