wind wing latch glues redux

In a message dated 03/17/2002 5:34:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> One of the window clasps has fallen off the driver's
> side window of my Spider. I have the clasp. I want to
> put it back on the window. I asked about this months
> ago and people suggested re-bonding it with a
> windshield rear-view mirror repair kit. I finally got
> one and tried it today following all directions
> exactly, but the glue does not even begin to bond. I
> suspect I got the wrong kind of kit (intended for
> bonding something plastic, no doubt).  Can anyone give
> me a specific maker and kit name that they know will
> bond the metal clasp to the glass window? The one I
> got was from NAPA. It says nothing about working only
> on plastic.

This where I came in...

In more attempts than I can recall, rearview mirror adhesive proved
inadequate to the job of hold the steel latch to the glass spider windwing.
This stuff is intended to glue lightweight mirrors to the windshield (BTW, it
ALSO will not work for a GTV6 rearview, which is 87,500 times heavier than
the common type and also has to cross a painted on antenna).

There was once posted the REAL glue to use, but I have forgotten what it is
called, alas!  I can tell you NONE of the common glues or epoxies that can be
found in auto or home repair places will work, or work for long.  There is
perhaps ONE SOLUTION to this and the rest are not worth your time and
trouble.

NB: the latches on the windwings were always falling off on the 71 spider
but, to date, have never let go on the 91.  Go figure.  I hope mentioning
this doesn't put the malochia on them.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA