a classic

In a message dated 03/23/2002 10:11:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> the alfa spider (my car) is immediately recognized as a beautiful
> icon of modern design. the visual design of the car is from,
> and immediately identifiable with a retro area of modern, and
> therefore forward (futuristic?) thinking. however, it is difficult
> to place it's age, it certainly looks 'new', but 'old' at the
> same time. (my beautiful paint job helps).

Now isn't this just a bout the meaning of a classic?

More than once a month someone asks (usually of my BW) about the 91 Spider,
which is a late version of a design that's been rolling around for over 30
years, if it is brand new?  If it sold in the USA yet?  If it isn't a little
too modern looking?  And questions along those lines.  Of course, they show a
little ignorance (but we all have that in some way) but I believe they say
more about the excellence and timelessness of the Pinninfarina shape.  It is
not ONLY because it is from Italy (but of course that helps) or that it is
rare (ditto).  Not many cars have achieved that level of design-art
perfection.

And I'm not prejudiced!

Charlie
LA, CA, USA