Re: alfa-digest V8 #587

       The 1975 Alfetta sedan (Berlina) that I bought new had an air pump.
It is around here in a box somewhere.  I left it on until it came time to
change the little oil filter in the Spica pump.  Alfa had mounted the air
pump outboard of the Spica pump.  Removal was such a pain, that I never put
it back.
       That Alfa did not have a catalytic converter.  I ran it for years with
no air pump.  The hoses were still in place for some years, just the pump was
gone.  Later I removed the rest of the plumbing and plugged the holes in the
exhaust manifold.
      The air pump may have been fitted as early as 1974.  I have some 74
cast iron exhaust manifolds with bosses cast for air injection, but they were
never drilled on mine.
       And the switch from Spica to L Jetronic happened in 1982, not 1980.
The Spica pumps in 1980 and 1981 were about the same, but they had the
infamous large single butterfly intake manifold.  The VVT intake cams also
came along about 1980.  I do have a late Spica engine with VVT.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 03/21/2002 2:40:13 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:40:59 -0500
> From: "Watry, Andrew (LNG-MBC)" <Andrew.Watry@domain.elided>
> Subject: 70s air pumps
>
> Are the air pumps installed on late-70s 115 and 116 cars the same, other
> than the pulley and bracketing? That is, can you fit the pump off an Alfetta
> onto a Spider if you change those items and keep the original air manifold,
> header, etc?
>
> A more general question:  Air pumps were used what years? 1977-1981?  I
> believe 75 and 76 115 and 116 cars didn't have them yet, and were quite
> detuned to meet smog regs, but introduction of the air pump and catalytic in
> 1977 did most of the cleaning work and allowed more aggressive cam timing,
> the two-point distributor, etc.  And they must have disappeared with
> introduction of Bosch injection in 1982, right?
>
> What, if any, is the consequence of running one of these with the air pump
> disconnected (other than dirtying the air), assuming you've already passed
> your smog test?  Do you risk ruining the catalytic?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew Watry
> Berkeley, CA

In a message dated 03/21/2002 9:00:31 PM Central Standard Time,