Re: GTV sunroof

In AD8-0584 David Johnson asks "Does anyone know where the fuse is located for
the sunroof in a '74 GTV? Nothing is amiss in the fuse box so I am assuming
its either an in-line fuse or is located somewhere else. Where, I have no
idea."

The earliest sunroofs to show up in parts books or any other Alfa literature I
have seen are the strictly manual (ergo unfused) units in the second-series
(1978-79) Alfetta sedans and corresponding Alfetta coupes, but not on any
Alfas before then. Factory power sunroofs were first offered with the Milano,
I believe; they could have been offered on late GTV 6s, but I have never heard
of it. Dealer-installed aftermarket sunroofs, but as far as I know no factory
sunroofs, were fitted to some earlier cars, particularly in Germany where
sunroofs first became popular as aftermarket enhancements, originally as
rollback canvas roofs and later as flush metal slide-backs. It is not
impossible, but in my opinion very unlikely, that a power sunroof from a
Milano or some other car could have been spliced into a 115 GT Veloce. My
guess is that there is no fuse.

While I am at it, I agree with Joe Garcia that sunroofs mainly just decrease
structural integrity and headroom while adding weight (up high, of course),
cost, complexity, possible drainage problems, and, if opened at speed, wind
buffeting and noise. They came with my Milano and my wife's 164, but we don't
use them and would rather not have them. They are part of a bells-and-whistles
more-is-better value-added culture, while we are by choice usually biased
toward basics. Nothing against people who like them, of course; personal
choices.

Enjoy yours,

John H.